Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Independence Day Ponderance

It’s quite ironic that it’s Independence Day today.

Over the weekend York texted me cos he needed to talk. His GF was “late”.

Today the predicament is confirmed. The FOB is preggie. I didn’t even know they were doing it. Yeah, naïve, I know.

He’s been known to say she gets on his nerves. She’s crowding him. She shows up unannounced, and she started talking about marriage like a week into the relationship.

“I suspect she just wants to marry an American to stay in the country,” he confided.

I get sucked into someone else’s drama so i don’t need to deal with the open-endedness of my own life. There's a chance i hate her because her neediness sounds a bit familiar.

“Text me or something”, he pleads today.

I’m such a sucker for someone who “needs” me, it’s not even funny. It almost doesn’t even matter who it is.

“Would you like to IM?” I text back.

“She’s here,” he replies. “Can’t chat.” Then he makes that sad face.

Of course she’s there. "Normal" couples spend their day off together. In stark contrast, JD plans his life without me.

How appropriate that i watched Match Point today, which happens to discuss the age-old mind-boggler of lust vs. love. Men will tell lies on tops of lies to get some action with hot stuff, but settle for some nice girl who’s sweet but doesn’t quite incite that kind of passion. The minute Hot Stuff gets knocked up, Man gets panicky.

“I don’t see a future,” York concluded, referring to the GF. Weeks before "the incident".

And yet he continues to see her, and continues to fuck her. All because she was nice enough to make chicken soup when he was sick?

Perhaps we are all living a lie. A web of lies we can’t quite distill life from.

And perhaps i'm miffed by neither York nor JD. The mixed emotions are far more profound than i can possibly start to detangle or decipher.

No comments: