Monday, September 03, 2007

It's a School Night Somewhere

I wake up to my neighbor still partying. Sounds like two guys & a gal carrying on. Much laughter & gaiety. I picture them still holding wine glasses.

I glance at my clock. It's 3:24 a.m.

"Are you kidding me?!" I thought. Instant anger. Perhaps not as much at the inconsideration as jealousy - friends to be merry with on a long weekend at 3:24 a.m.!

No matter. I have to be heard. Instinctively i bang hard on the wall 3 times with the ball of my fist. (Cuz three is a magic number. It's how you evoke a genie and stuff.) Whadaya know, someone makes what comes off as an utterance of realization. And then: Instant silence.

And now my left hand hurts like hell - it literally throbs. (I'm a leftie when it comes to certain things.) Assertive self-expression at the moment of conception? I identify more with Coyote than Roadrunner. And now i can't go back to sleep.

No comments: