Monday, December 15, 2008

Sadly Mistaken

Today i hit a seagull.

By accident. With my car.

Any other scenario would be kinda sick.

Why the little fella decided to digress from his clans' route to dive and land in front of me on a three-lane boulevard while i was accelerating to 40 mph is entirely beyond me.

I swerved a little but didn't exactly desire driving into the car in the next lane. The last i saw of the bird was at the level of my right front tire. I held my breath as i pictured the creature as roadkill. Would be a first for me.

I heard a thump. Something soft on metal. Gentler than a baseball bat.

But i captured a glimpse of the fucka in my side mirror, gliding away, low. I was surprised it didn't collide into another car given the lunch hour traffic.

Tremendous guilt washed over me. What if the bird was seriously injured and was gonna die? Worse yet, what if it suffered a great deal before dying?

(We're all gonna die. We all suffer a great deal.)

My brother W reverberated in my head:

Survival of the fittest

That did not elicit solace. I'm certainly not among the fittest. What am i doing here?!

2 comments:

Not-So-Normal-Mom said...

Bummer. Years ago, driving on a VERY dark street with no lighting, I hit a number of bunnies that were scattered, running about in the night. I stopped the car at one point, afraid to go on. I couldn't understand why they didn't just get out of the way. I tried not to hit them, as it was breaking my heart with every little bump. They just wouldn't move.

I don't know why it happens. Sometimes it just does.

Anonymous said...

Freak bunny killer!