Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Lingual

Both AC and OC were diagnosed with speech delay at age two.

Elsie vexed herself comparing her sons to other kids.

I urged her not to worry. "A late start doesn't mean anything," i suggested. "Every kid has their own developmental pace and style."

She was not convinced.

"When i was your son's age, I wouldn't repeat single words," i told Elsie. "Once i broke the silence, i spoke in complete sentences."

"Really!" Responded Elsie in amazement.

"According to my Mom anyway," i replied. "See, i didn't speak till age three. And now you can't shut me up!"

Even at age three, apparently, i didn't take failure well. Unless i did something perfectly, i wouldn't do it. Hence the making certain i got the phonics down lest i humiliate myself.

That's pride fucking witcha.*

People don't change.


*A Pulp Fiction reference

No comments: