Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Inanimate

JD jokes that, if i was to move to Florida, i'd be allowed to keep two stuffed animals out of the slew that i have in storage.

It's not my fault. (1) Most were gifts. (2) It's an Asian thing.

There was this Gund polar bear i received right before i left Brooklyn, NY, from my best friend IA and her sister, both of which were like sisters i never had.

His name was Snuffles.

I took him to college in Chico, CA. I'd hold him while i cried to sleep some nights. He was precious.

My brother W, with whom i lived at the time, adored the bear. He'd snatch him all the time. In fact i have this silly picture of Snuffles sitting on his face while he lies on his futon...

And not until i said it out loud earlier this evening to JD did i realize it sounds totally kinky and twisted.

And years later, going through my divorce and moving from SoCal to the BA, i saw Snuffles again when i went through my things. Where my tears had fallen mildew had grown. The poor thing was beyond resurrection. It broke my heart to hafta toss him. i mean i literally felt severance.

Tonight JD listened to my story after it took me 15 seconds to come up with the adjective "musty", and remarked:

Let's move on from the musty bear that sat on your brother's face...

And i laughed.

I said, "I should quote you on that one line. And they'd be like, 'Huh?!'"

1 comment:

Not-So-Normal-Mom said...

I have hidden stuffed animals. My dog got to one of my childhood lions. It is now missing an eye and all of its stuffing. I now hide my stuffed animals higher.