Sunday, September 06, 2009

Kicking Myself

Every now and then i'll opt not to photograph a subject and regret it later. We're talkin' major rumination and remorse.

It only takes a moment.

Yesterday was one of those times. I was exhausted and just wished the continue our peregrination to return to the car. Besides Denisse didn't appear to want to stop. And i'm underentitled that way.

Came across Crested Euphorbia. Only one letter from "euphoria". That's easy enough.

Here's an example from Cactus Art:

It was not exactly what i saw. This is lovely, but mine would be more suited with the alias "Frilled Fan". It was paler, more fanned out like a fluid panel, fuschia fringed with random spiky knobs. Understated and a captivating vision. Move to love in the world of succulents.

I also encounted the Pitcher Plant which i hadn't seen since childhood in the wild. (My childhood wasn't in the wild; the plant was.) On a hike, my family came across a whole bunch creekside. My Dad the nature nut was thrilled. Explaining to us how it worked, he captured an ant and fed it to the gaping plant. It was brutal. Can you imagine being digested alive?!

I was strangely aroused. I'm sure the phallic shape had nothing to do with it.

An example from Pet Fly Trap:


Since then carnivorous plants have been fascinating to me. It seems to me the food chain in reverse.

So there you have it. I enjoy vegetation the equivalent of camels as well as the varieties that bite back. Must be some self-manifestation.

No comments: