Wednesday, April 08, 2009

All In a Day's Work 31

Ever since Roar's been growing his hair out, everyone has been picking on him.

"Can you even see behind that hair?" Riley has questioned.

Merry Lore does not exactly forbid long hair on male employees. But neatness is a requirement.

Does not affect me any, but i am secretly scornful. The rule reminds me of my Catholic schoolgirl days. Practically fascist!

But you must make fun of the kid all the other kids are mocking.

The other week, in Stewart's office, i told Roar he reminded of a sheepdog. Then i petted him. The guys laughed.

Later i passed by Roar on the floor and whispered, "Doggie!" He was not amused. "That is fringing on emotional harassment!" He exclaimed.

A corner of my heart ached. It occurred to me Roar had feelings despite his gangsta/rocka persona.

This afternoon, Roar and i were alone in my office. His hair looked so shiny i just had to touch it. It was so soft! Even if he confessed to rarely brushing it. I complimented him on cleaniness as i had before.

"I smell your shampoo," I said. "it's coconutty."

"Oh, that's my bodywash," said Roar.

"Roar? I like your hair," i said. "Don't tell anyone."

"You do?" Roar was pleased. "I do, too. It is misunderstood!"

I started to panick. "Don't tell anyone i said that," i pleaded. "If you do, i'll deny it."

Roar laughed nervously.

Yeah, that's better than "If you tell anyone, i'll kill you."

I played with his hair some more, and he let me. "I wanna braid it," i said.

He conceded. So i did.

He was too tall for me. He sat down. I did five.

Roar was psyched. "I may come back for more!" He said.

I was giddy. It was closest to having a little girl i'd ever get.

No comments: