Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Tension

Last evening, I watched Creation, the story of how On the Origin of Species got published. Poignant performance, as i Tweeted. I was moved to tears.

Even when you question the existence of The Divine, based on observation and facts, you are reluctant to obliterate him.

And the loss of an orangutan AND [spoiler alert] a child didn't help matters.

Several hours later, I sunk into depression, and chalked it up to routine.

I've been putting off movie-watching for a long time, mostly because i never know, with an impactful drama, where my mind is gonna take me.

Suddenly i understand why, for decades now, my mother refuses anything but comedy. Even the dumb ones.

Tonight, watching Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations, an Ireland episode that covers the age-old feud between Catholics and Protestants, the brutality of which is exemplar in Belfast, it dawned on me the nature of my core misery, remembering a quote i cannot place or repeat verbatim:

God gifted us with the intelligence to question why we are here, but not the wisdom to know why.

No comments: