Thursday, February 18, 2010

Peg

RJ has informed me that one major factor in our relationship that bothers Amelia the most is our age gap.

First i laughed it off. Then i was reminded of Goldie.

Of all the women Taylor has dated since me, Goldie bothered me the most. Because she was 18.

And it bothered me that it bothered me.

Every schoolgirl i drove by reminded of Goldie. Well, not all of them. Just the skinny Asian teenage ones who all dressed alike. I wanted to run them over.

Just as i cyberstalked Goldie on myspace then (i'm not proud), Amelia is cyberstalking me on Facebook nowadays. Self-tormenting: i do not recommend it. Those were my darkest hours indeed.

I wonder if Amelia wishes me bodily harm. If she did i wouldn't blame her.

I wanna tell her i understand her pain. But she'll probably spit on that sentiment.

Many women will concede, mumbling "hussy" and other expletives under their breath, that the clichéd scenario of older man with a younger woman is loathsome.

Thank God RJ does not have money. That would be more clichéd.

Why should age matter? Because we're all sick of our youth-worship culture? Because as our age advances, "younger is better" precludes us and we're resentful? Because we haven't lived until we've been arm candy at least once?

Age shouldn't matter. But it does. I keep wanting to trick RJ into saying that it doesn't. But it does. It's the entire package. Okay. Age is part of the package.

It's been researched. A man's pursuit of a younger partner is essential on an evolutionary level. You want your babies to survive. A younger mother generally has a better chance at that.

But RJ and Taylor did not set out to nail young chicks. It just happened.

That's better. Really.

Tell the exes that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

For the record, everyone was stunned that I was dating an 18 year old. Everyone.. except me and her. She hit on me, by the way. Not the other way 'round. Thats the truth. And the funny thing is.. she was one of the most mature women I have dated. Not demanding.. very sweet and tried to carry her own weight. More than most.