Thursday, February 18, 2010

Obtuse

It's 9:47 a.m. I am sitting by the coffee table in RJ's robe staring blankly at the labtop screen with RJ's worn brown shoes on because my feet are cold.

A knock on the door. Alley barks.

Oh, must be the UPS package RJ is expecting. He did mention they usually come in the morning. This is wine that needs to be signed for.

But it's not my house so i remain seated. RJ goes to the door and, as usual, opens it without peeping first.

It's Amelia*, RJ's wife.

That's right. RJ is not divorced yet.

Amelia explains why she's here. Something about the rose bushes. "And to meet V," she adds.

I am so in shock i can't get up. Heck, my face is greasy, i have coffee breath, and i was just pondering taking a dump.

RJ and i have joked about this pivotal moment but damn, could i be less presentable?!!

She says it is nice to meet me. "Hi Amelia," was all i can utter.

She couldn't be more civil and collected. I feel ill-mannered.

They head out. I go and get dressed.

Do i go out to the garden or not go out? I decide I should go and acknowledge my awkward behavior.

At a distance RJ is holding a hoe (i just joked about his having a ho earlier this week). He appears to be in a conversation with Amelia even though i can't see her behind the archway. It doesn't seem an appropriate juncture to intrude.

So i return to the couch to blog. And now more time has passed and i feel even more ill-mannered.

Has she left yet? Will she say bye?

Ugh!!!

When can i take a dump?


*Not her real name

No comments: