Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Hatter

'Twas my last day at Merry Lore. Everyone had been counting down for me. I chuckled. They seemed more excited than i.

This morning, before I even warmed my chair, Tricia* approached me.

"Since you're leaving," opened Tricia. And i totally anticipated something sentimental.

Continued Tricia, "May I have your two-hole punch?"

I laughed out loud. Seriously. Should be an SNL skit.

I gladly obliged.

Everyone's on a tight budget these days, but this is Communist. Not even much of a ration. I imagined her (repeated) office supply request(s) declined. And forgave her for all her trespassings.

During the day the staff seemed genuinely sorry to see me go. I've made a few friends - there is a handful of people i'm fond of. But i was surprised and touched to get hugs and well wishes from others i didn't expect to have cared. All because i may have smiled and/or eased their technical difficulties sporadically. Kindness is not forgotten. That twinkle in the eye you can't fake.

There is love in the world. Just like Taylor said.

Mildred decided to let me off an hour early. By the time i was done packing and making rounds bidding farewell, though, 50 minutes had lapsed.

It was not the packing. I didn't have lots of personal artifacts. No photos, plaques, trinkets. I always knew.

Toward the end i found myself at my empty deserted desk surrounded by Ashley, Sherry, and Mildred.

All of sudden Ashley blurted, "Can i have you highlighters?!"

Mildred burst in laughter. "She's not even gone yet!" She cried.

"I don't have any highlighters..." A shy Ashley explained softly.

Again, Communist?

And now free to joke, i said, "The body of my Merry Lore career is not even cold yet!" And laughed my signature boisterous laugh.

For a second I thought the analogy shocked Mildred but i was probably tripping. Probably nothing shocked Mildred.

"I'm not gonna cry," declared Sherry.

Who left me her email address on a 3" x 3" yellow Post-It. Clandestinely. "I have your email, silly!" I shouted across the room. Such behavior is highly frowned upon in the quarters. But i'm leaving so shove it.

With a few others i exchanged contact info such that the 50 minutes were filled with, "I have your cell" or "I have your email". It was sweet and reassuring even if none of us may intend to "keep in touch". It's the sentiment that counts. At the moment.

Course, when it came to Liv, she left me with, "You have my Facebook." The lady who's sworn off mobile telephony. She's so fun and lively and unique, she doesn't belong there either. I'll miss her.

Quite a bunch. I am grateful for the experience. And it is surreal that tomorrow i won't have a commute. My achy back won't miss it. That's for sure.

And in the evening i get to come home to RJ. Yes, home. Home is where RJ is.

And we opened a bottle of Chandon. Well, he did. I don't have the first clue. On my list of things to learn to do.

"Six half turns," he says.

Making a mental note...

And i was really eager to blog on my way home. Then i got there and i was like, Eh, who cares about my last day at work?

But then i thought this could be the last time i'm this inspired to write, to have a network, to have a life outside of RJ.

Hmm. Like i always say: food for thought.


*Not her real name

No comments: