Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Peregrination 3

Today, after work, even though i was dead tired, i didn't wanna go home. I really, really didn't wanna go home.

I wanted to be near water. Feel sun on my skin. Be outside.

In a split second i changed two lanes to get my crazy ass on 85 N and on to Shoreline Park. In my business attire and all. And wheat bread and Coke Zero i had just purchased still in the trunk. I didn't care.

I'd never been there on a weekday. The parking lot was practically desolate. No one there but women and children. (Cuz the men had gone to war...)

The bay was a marvelous sight. Such dazzling reflections. The marsh reek brought in by the breeze was a welcome scent.

And so i strolled along. In my business attire. Amidst mothers and children. I love being the oddball.

I delighted in the sight of smiles and green leaves and birds diving and feeding. Glory to a summer that hasn't ended! Same trail, but traveling on foot definitely evokes different emotions than riding on a bike.

Just like in the movies, i passed an old couple sitting on a bench.

"Good day to be taking a walk, isn't it?" Asked the man.

I answered affirmatively, and asked if the path wrapped all the way around.

Alas, it did not. I thanked them and went on my way.

It's such an impactful image: A couple simply sitting and watching a body of water. Content.

Suddenly...

Continuing on my journey alone became symbolic, and i got choked up.

On the way back i caught sight of patches of duck shit on the path. Fresh, moist, and pungent duck shit. All over. Which i never noticed on the way out.

... Metaphorical of what we choose to see as we shift through time.

No matter. I shall bravely march on. Duck shit and all.

No comments: