Friday, October 01, 2010

Blue Crab First

When i was younger i didn't deem crab worth the trouble.

After months of listening to RJ refer to Maryland blue crabs as the most sensual thing you could ever put in your mouth ("If sex were food, it'd be Maryland blue crab," he says.), I had to check it out.

These were babies (wild nonetheless), but i thought the visible goo looked pretty promising.

I learned this method on the web coined "wok-'baking'", which is not baking at all but steaming the crustaceans in a covered wok over high heat with very little water.

Ready in 8 minutes! Efficiency i like.

I'd forgotten that crabs don't even need seasoning - they're from the ocean: they've got all the salt and the minerals you need. Voilà! Umami. Even though these tiny fellas didn't pack a lot of meat, they were finger-licking good. I savored every bit and shamelessly sucked each cavity as best i could. "You just need to get to know the anatomy," an encouraging RJ egged me on. Improving the skills as a novice was priceless; the lesson in patience, a reward in itself. I am officially a convert!

Transforming experiences. Maybe old age does have its advantages.

No comments: