Thursday, October 21, 2010

柱侯牛筋蘿蔔

More culinary firsts today! I am so proud i could burst!

Beef tendon and daikon (in Chu Hou sauce incidentally but a myriad of broths would have been yummy!). For this particular creation I consolidated three recipes and improvised (reviewing notes from interviewing Elsie's late mother, God bless that woman*). Whew! Yes, i am serious about my art. Attempting this favorite since childhood meant more than just good eats - it was getting in touch with my roots, embracing them and growing up.

Sure are strange-looking things.

Dramatic shrinkage after a quick boil for 5 minutes. Miraculous that these still yielded a potful!

I have to admit: most of the time, slow cooking is NOT for me. The wait and the sense of responsibility was torturous! This pot happens to have taken 3.25 hours, prepping not included. Now it has to marinate overnight and cook some more tomorrow!

But the smaller pieces are already tender, the broth very delectable. A labor of love indeed. And so worth it!


*Elsie's late mother used to make some version of this dish when i would come to visit. I was living in SoCal and knew nothing about cooking then. Just cuz she knew i liked it. Recreating this dish is like recreating love.

No comments: