Friday, October 29, 2010

涼伴粉皮

Another first. This is an appetizer to be served cold, akin to its entrée counterpart of cold noodles. This particular product is made of mung bean, as is glass noodle (a.k.a. cellophane noodle). The ethereal, crystalline appearance and silky, sensual texture render me a fervent fan. The sesame-based sauce comes in many varieties depending on the region. Most native cooks will name 5 - 8 ingredients and suggest that you wing it and taste as you go. For the longest time this simple project has been daunting to me. Perhaps I deemed it blasphemy to attempt to create a dish popular in places far from where i used to call home. Perhaps again I have succumbed to self-applied pressure to excel at any culinary endeavor that may be labeled "Chinese", even if my first taste may have occurred way into adulthood.

Must... conquer... fear. Even in the absence of expected garnishes, this looks lovely to me. And, boy, is it delicious!

No comments: