Friday, March 19, 2010

Innate

This afternoon i brought my car in for an oil change, and it was discovered that a tire rotation as well as new brake pads were necessary.

Since i had quite a block of time to kill, i walked to Rite-aid to browse things i didn't need. Such as cosmetics.

I was in the Maybelline corner minding my own business when a pleasant female voice asked, "Does this say 'dark brown'?"

I looked over to find this older Asian lady to my left holding up a twin pack of eye pencils. "I don't have my glasses," she explained.

"'Light brown'," I told her.

Feeling bad she couldn't see, i offered to locate dark brown for her.

"I'm trying to find gray," she said.

Gray was not available in that series.

"They may have discontinued gray," she conjectured, and sounded sad.

I looked in another series and found "slate gray". Eureka! I handed it to her while she scrutinized, and came across "charcoal gray" in yet another series.

"Great!" Cried the delighted lady. "I wanted a darker shade."

Just when i was pleased i had done a good deed, she read the packaging some more and questioned, "Wait, it says 'eyeliner'. Can i use it on my brows?"

I was stumped. "You know," i confessed. "It's been so long since i've worn makeup... i don't remember!"

With further discussion we assumed the two were interchangeable.

She thanked me and i responded kindly. She started walking away. I turned back to the merchandise on display.

When she was about 3 yards away, she turned around as if something had just hit her, "You don't wear makeup?!"

I laughed out of sheer adsurdity. "Well, lipstick," i said. "When i was younger i was really into makeup. Now i don't bother as much."

"You're not old," proclaimed the silver lady.

OMG i cannot believe we're carrying on a conversation 3 yards apart.

"Not what i meant," i said. "It's just a different mentality."

"I just do my brows and lips now," she said.

I thought that was a little weird. But she was cute.

"Well, thank you again," said the lady.

"You're welcome!" I responded with a smile.

And then she added:

Jesus loves you!

Oh - kay. Now that's just weird.

No comments: