Friday, March 27, 2009

Sleeve

This evening, months after talks on getting together outside of work, Sherry and i went to happy hour at my favorite bar.

I just didn't wanna head home right after work. It's fucking Friday!

Turned out Sherry and i had quite a few things in common. It was almost uncanny. And we laughed. It was comfortable.

I can honestly say the level of connection was better than any date i've been on in a long time. Only this was not a date. (As it turned out, Sherry was NOT a lesbian.)

Later we'd make a list of ALL we need in life to make us happy:

1. Washer and dryer right in our apartment
2. Barbeque in an enclosed area (secure patio or balcony)

Short list. Really, we're simple gals. You hafta concede.

Wow. To make a girlfriend. I guess it can be done. I just didn't know where to look.

It's March and way warmer than it should be. It is still weird to stroll around downtown Sunny. Impossible not to invoke memories of Taylor.

But... all good. Hit me. I'll take it all in.

There are parallels to dating though. We project activities in the future. Important to have fun to look forward to. Sherry is going on Atkins tomorrow! We're going to have steak! What kinda steak? Loved that discussion!

Later in the night she'd call me cuz her cousin would've killed herself for losing a custody battle. And her grandma would've gone on "Do not resuscitate".

It was as if i was clairvoyant. The shit is gonna hit the fan. Let's take Sherry out!

Not like we have other friends, either.

We parked in different lots. As i walked Sherry, she said, "Oh, you don't have to walk me to my car..."

I'd sensed that about her. She's underentitled. Just like me.

Truth was, the sun was still out. People (attractive people) were just starting their night out. And i, for one, was sorry i was heading home. And i wanted to prolong the process.

"Oh," i responded. "I'm not doing this for you."

Sherry flat out laughed. "You're funny, V," she said.

Someone thinks i'm funny. Priceless.

The best gift in life? You're being honest and NOT even trying to please. And they love you anyway.

No comments: