Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Trials

Just caught a pleasant surprise that is Anna Chlumsky in an episode of Law & Order: Special Victims Unit. (RJ and I seldom watched live TV. Everything is recorded.) It's nice to see her grown up and beautiful and a wonderful actress.

Chlumsky is, of course, of My Girl fame. I have a friend who named her firstborn TJ, after Macaulay Culkin's character in the movie.

I find it hilarious that each SVU episode is preceded by the fiction disclaimer that no character or event in real life is depicted, when most of the time it is so blatantly obvious by which news story the writers happen to have been "inspired". Seriously they don't even attempt to hide it. What a mockery.

In this particular episode, Fifty Shades of Grey is the insinuated topic. To be fair, the plot is pretty good, imagination-wise. "Pretty good for an American show", as RJ would put it.

Now, I haven't read said book. Don't intend to. Have heard enough about it. Haven't read the author's résumé. No matter. In the TV version, nowhere is it stated that it is an autobiography. But everyone sets out to believe it couldn't have been research. It had to be someone's personal fantasies.

Where's the logic? As a feminist I have a problem with that. I could be educated enough to know all about what motivates someone to kill, all the psychological and circumstantial triggers. I can be really intrigued by the subject matter because, boy, the human mind truly is complex and fascinating. Does NOT mean I want to kill. (Although given certain circumstances, never say never.)

In fact if the book was indeed about gruesome gory mayhem written by a mousey female professor of academia, I bet everyone would've shrugged it off. It would never have been called "personal". Cuz women are virgins or bitches or whores, and nothing in between.

No comments: