Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Crossroads 2

Completely changed career paths recently. Relinquished anything accounting or finance-related and never looked back.

All these YEARS when I'd be wistful about never having had a clear vision of "what I want to be when I grow up", someone inevitably would ask, "What do you want to do?" I'd reply, sadness filling my core, "I don't know." Thinking it'd be rude to follow that with, "If I knew, I'd be doing it now."

Someone would also suggest doing something that I love. I feared the familiar: turn something fun into work, and it ceases to be fun.

Milestones came and went and no career. It's not even about the common notion of success. Or money.

It depressed me to no end that someone my age couldn't figure out what to do with her life. I'd do something for a while, hate it, dread every Monday. That's no way to live!

A while ago, with the flourishing food truck scene, I felt hopeful seeing hiring Tweets and such. Oh, the possibilities!

RJ was a lot more realistic. "You love food," said RJ. "Doesn't necessarily mean you want to work in a truck."

Perhaps. "But that's how Julia Child found her calling!" I whined. But I knew I was no Julia Child.

Other opportunities knocked. It was like after I'd decided desk jobs weren't for me, I was more sought after! The irony.

Then a dinner service needed drivers.

In a nutshell, I pick up food from local chefs and deliver it to families.

Food is something I feel passionate about. I aim to please. I'm punctual. I'm an excellent driver. I love driving (the listening to the radio part; the back pain, not so much). Why not?

And the rest, as they say, was history. I love how my job is the right mix of fast-paced and relaxing. Customer satisfaction is instant gratification to me. After all, I'm all about getting approval. For the first time, I work for a cool boss who trusts and respects and doesn't micromanage. Now, come Monday, I'm actually excited to start the week. I've never felt that way about any other job. Every night I come home smiling. And RJ notices. Of course.

RJ has a funny way with words. We are alike in that regard.

When I take off, he says, "Be safe." Which means, "I love you. Make it home."

Whereas, time and again I say to him, "Don't die."

It's really the same thing.

It just dawned on me lately that he'd been saying "be safe" everyday now that I'd been working.

Last night, I asked, cackling at the idea, "Have you been worried about my driving?"

He chuckled too. "You drive like me!" He said.

It's true. We have the same driving "style" and values. Which made it extra humorous.

I assured him that I drive safely. "Because if I hit someone or get pulled over," I explained. "My deliveries will be late!"

No comments: