Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Vignette 27

The 'rents are in town. Or, the parental units, as JD used to say. I thought it was cute.

AC is smitten with my Dad, his grandfather. He can't get enough of him. Everywhere we go he wants to hold his hand. He wants Ye Ye (Paternal Grandpa in Canto) to sit in the back row of the family van with him. "I like Ye Ye!" He would proudly proclaim randomly, cracking everyone up.

AC is six going on 7, that age when he's got a lot to share. But he's second-generation American, and my Dad is only visiting. It pains the little guy, I'm certain, as now, just as there's more to say, there's more he canNOT express in a common language.

Yesterday, AC was about to go off on a tangent/tell a tall tale, when he suddenly got quiet. Softly, he leaned over toward his grandfather and asked in Cantonese, "Ye Ye, do you not know English?" except for the word "English".

"No," my father replied in English.

Tickled pink, I couldn't help but cackle. I was reminded of this comedian who had this routine about touring in Europe, and, when approached by someone speaking their respective native tongue, he'd tell them, "Sorry, I don't speak German/French/or whatever." in German/French/or whatever, in the sincerest, sorriest tone.

And the European, dismayed, would yell, "But you just did!"

No comments: