Thursday, June 30, 2011

Foot

The last day of June means the last day of displaying my birthday cards. It's a miracle I still get real cards. Two of these 3 I received by mail, no less.

Turning 40 is quite symbolic on several levels. I feel like I care about my looks less, my comfort a lot more. In the past two days I caught myself sporting what I call the classic middle-aged Asian woman look: comfy tee, straight-leg capris and Skechers. I don't know what it is with middle-aged Asian women and Skechers. Perhaps a desperate cling to the remnants of youth. But why this brand in particular??

I went through a wild phase obsessed with said brand during my early 30's. The passion has since been long gone. But, like I said, comfort reigned, and I was not too ashamed to be caught dead in a shoe brand that was no longer glamorous to me.

Today, running one of my last errands in Japan town, I stopped for manju. Personally, I couldn't care less about these mochi-like dessert pieces, but Elsie loves them. Since I was in the neighborhood, I thought I'd delight her with a dozen.

The Japanese ladies at the store couldn't be friendlier. One was probably in her 50's, the other, early 60's. "Gift?" The former asked me. "Yes!" I replied, touched by her thoughtfulness. She proceeded to wrap the box up with rice paper and a pink ribbon tied in a bow.

As we were saying our goodbyes, the latter noticed my red Skechers. "I like your shoes!" She declared.

I thanked her. A conversation on the shoes ensued: where I got them, when I got them, speculation on whether the store still existed today.

Incidentally, Sherry had just complimented me on the shoes after our weekly lunch today.

"I don't really like Skechers per se anymore," I'd told Sherry after having explained my phase.

"I do!" Sherry had said. Sherry happened to be in her 50's.

Of course you all do, ladies. That's why the brand completes what I call the classic middle-aged Asian woman look!

No comments: