Thursday, June 02, 2011

Reverberation

I just noticed for the first time that my Yelp reviews have been voted on.

I don't write a lot of reviews, only when I feel it is important to have my voice heard - either when i am profoundly inspired or morbidly disappointed. Quite frankly, IMO a lot of Yelpers can fall flat in expressing themselves ("It was really good." How? Not the most articulate bunch, are we?) and misleading/unfair/illogical at times ("This would've been a 4 stars instead of 3 if i hadn't had to drive so far." Another case in point: someone had the nerve to rate a seafood restaurant when s/he's allergic and therefore cannot have any). Not to mention that superego factor. Just how narcissistic need we get?

Anyway, un-immune to narcissism, i was amused by the votes: 18 Useful, 2 Funny and 12 Cool. True to my Chinese heritage (a.k.a. goody-goody), it is more imperative to have helped than to have cracked a smile. And if i get to come across as cool? That's just a bonus.

No comments: