Sunday, May 26, 2019

Rapture

Yesterday was a beautiful day in terms of weather. I was a bit anxious not knowing what to do to take advantage of it (and it was a long weekend to boot). Whenever I don't know where to go, I go to the farmers market. Seeing flowers and fresh produce and happy people out and about makes me happy.

I was walking back to the car after the outing when this man sitting on the edge of a cement planter looked my way. Within seconds I realized he wasn't eyeing me, as soon as I heard a shriek of delight from behind me, the sweet voice of a little girl calling, "Daddy!" It was utter joy you could hear, dripping with honey.

The man was looking semi serious until that moment, when warmth washed over his face and his features softened.

I passed the man and looked back to see his little girl, probably four years of age, run up to him in earnest, her chestnut wavy hair bouncing with each step. The sun hit it in such a way she might as well have been wearing a halo. As she neared him she extended her hand, and he offered his hand to her.

I was so moved I had a lump in my throat and had to look away. The love of a child for a parent. There is nothing like it. So pure and unadulterated.

There is a reason there's "adult" in "unadulterated". We are never going to love like that again once we leave childhood.

No comments: