Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Sequential

Jojo has been engaged 5 days and already she is running around planning her wedding.

She's been glowing. The same has been reported of me. Women in love. That's how we roll.

I haven't seen her this happy since, well, her first wedding. That was 21 years ago.

She's one of those women who cannot and will not be alone.

We grew up together. Until we grew apart. She was the big sister i never had. That bond is always gonna be there. Even if we haven't spent any quality time together since i was in college (the first time).

As it turns out, we're even having cervical issues simultaneously. AND we're both having an excision in September. What are the chances of that?!? The only difference is hers is precancerous and mine is, as my doctor said, "technically cancer".

Ha! I win!

Another difference is that she's told my parents. I don't plan on doing so (unless i'm dying). I'll let her take the spotlight.

Jojo just moved from Belgium to my parents' Asian town about 4 years ago. Not only did she take over my retiring mother's supervisory position at the firm she'd stuck with for 5 decades, she's become my parents' daughter.

It's only befitting as Jojo has the kind of outgoing, tactful, street-smart personality that my mother wishes i possessed. She's stepped in and been what i could never be.

I am ambivalent about this. Not like i want to move to be close to my parents. Yet i am jealous.

This explains the paradox that is Amelia that RJ has been attempting to understand: you may not want to be with someone, but it doesn't mean you can let them go. (She's been working on it and seems to be much better these days.)

An excited Jojo makes wedding photography plans. She never had that luxury of professionalism at her first wedding. She wants to make up for lost time.

"That's all i ask," Jojo tells me, grinning, imagining gowns and locales. "Everything else i have had and done." She wasn't even expecting an engagement ring. (She got one.)

I, too, again uncannily, also had a makeshift wedding when i was young. Nothing that a little girl may dream of, i'm sure.

Listening to Jojo's musings, i surprised myself with a lump in my throat. Tears welled up so fast i had to bite my lip.

I realized, with all the similarities shared between Jojo and me, i, unlike her, may never have a chance to make up for lost time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that you glow makes me glad that people see you are loved and adored.
you could not be more beautiful .... rj