Sunday, May 25, 2008

Assertion

Friday night, after having checked me out all night, the bartend asked, "So... What are you? Chinese? Japanese?"

First of all, don't dig the accent. Or the mustache.

"Chinese", i replied anyway. I'm generous with goodwill while UI.

"Which part of China are you from?" Pursued the dude.

This is one of my pet peeves. I could be from Modesto, you fuck.

I'm Asian, i'm exotic, i must be foreign?

There's ethnicity. There's nationality. And then there's spirit and affiliation. Distinguish. Puh-leeease.

I distinctly remember: over a decade ago, my best friend IA and i were at Universal Studios in SoCal, in line for a monster ride.

Given, that place was swarming with tourists. But when the guest service dude inquired on my hometown and was not satisfied with my first answer, i was irritated.

Really, i live in The Valley. Now buzz off!!!!!

The other day, Derek II commented on my "Californian accent". That was truly the best compliment anyone could've paid.

I have a little identity crisis, i'll admit. It's only been there since first grade!

No comments: