Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Bijou

Recently took my parents on a trip to Southeast Asia. It was a first.

I felt a lot of pressure having to plan the whole thing myself. It rained everyday. Things didn't always go as planned. We got lost a few times (well, I got lost - I was the only one with GPS). We were exhausted from the walking and the humidity (me probably more so than the 'rents). At one point, my soaked shoes didn't dry for over 48 hours.

In other words, what you would expect on a trip somewhere you've never been.

During the 3.5 days, many visuals were seared in my brain. Of them, this stands out:

We were at the Flower Dome. It was pitch dark but for the electronic imagery of falling flowers. So... many... flowers, combo ever changing, patterns never quite repeating, never boring. Visitors were encouraged to lie down on the floor to fully take in the effect.

To my pleasant surprise, my mother eschewed her usual prissy self (I expected her to go, "Eew, floor! No! Dirty!") and actually proceeded to get down. Before she did, though, she started capturing the dome with her phone camera.

Her face lit up then, like a child's. All the wonderment that belongs on a child's face, so much amazement, joy and awe. Such a big grin you couldn't wipe off. Sparkle in her eyes. Never had I witnessed this side of my mother and may never again.

In the dim light I reveled in the outline that was her (now) tiny body as she raised her phone to keep recording what was above and around. She never grew tired. She was 80. In stark contrast, my neck was getting sore (among other things).

She was so... at peace. I wasn't used to that.

As we finally exited, my mother exclaimed, "I could stay forever!"

I believed her.

No comments: