Sunday, October 13, 2013

Miley

I don't care what they say. I still love Miley.

What's not to love? She's vivacious, vibrant and beautiful. And that voice! Oh, that voice.

She's young and living it up and feeling her way in the world. I admire that she is unapologetic about that.

Remember only God can judge us
Forget the haters
Cuz somebody loves ya

That's more positive a message than I have heard from many others her age, in her genre, in years. 

Yeah, yeah, I get the "role model" controversy. I even agree with Sinead O'Connor in that merit in talent chips away when one's over-pimped. But tell that to all the other female artists out there who feel the need to sell sex: Nicole Scherzinger, Nicki Minaj, Gaga. Britney started it with the serpent. No, she didn't. Go back. Mariah. Madonna. You can keep going, really. Blame it on society and the warped values we share and the pressure we put on women. I can go on.

Yes, I cringe when I see little girls wear makeup and dance around in their house in a provocative manner because these are the images they are imitating. But consider the imitated at this point. Whom did they watch growing up? We don't get to cherry-pick.

I think at the end of the day I like Miley's fearlessness. The kind that is accompanied by youth and youth alone. Even then, not all of us will have experienced it when we look back on life. Take that, haters.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is some confluence between you and Gloria Steinem on this ...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/14/gloria-steinem-miley-cyrus_n_4097006.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000009

Cheers, rj

tagaccat said...

What can I say... great minds