Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Oh, Homo Sapiens

Last night I made a quick stop at a mini mart for milk. As I walked in, I greeted the shopkeeper, who didn't respond in any way. I proceeded to check out the place even though I had only one item on my list (and would wind up getting more than one thing, as usual).

The slightly dim place was big for the inventory it was holding. The shelves looked sadly far from well stocked. A couple of freezers were empty with a sign that read, "Ask for frozen food".

When I was getting ready to pay, another customer entered the store who also happened to be an Asian female. Quite cute, too, might I add. She greeted the man of the house with the same smile and upbeatness as I had, and again he was stoic.

"Okay," I thought. "It wasn't me."

Finishing up the transaction, the shopkeeper reached for a black plastic bag intended for my loot. I informed him I did not need a bag, holding out a hand à la "Stop! In the name of love..."

The man's facial expression never changed. Maybe he didn't hear me. Maybe he didn't care. I didn't hold it against him.

I went for my goods to lift them off the counter, thinking that it must be lonely to watch this store in such a hidden away strip mall in a quiet neighborhood. I smiled again as I thanked the shopkeeper.

Just then, the man flashed a BIG GRIN.

I couldn't believe it. That really made my night.

As I've always believed: be kind, be appreciative, be considerate. Add to the positivity of the universe. Don't expect anything back.

Incidentally, I suppose being green is all of those things. Glad to be part of that force.

No comments: