Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Elm Street

I went to a city hall meeting tonight. It wasn't my first. Last time I went, it was for a poli sci assignment. This day was by choice. Mr. Rowan* would be proud.

I rather enjoyed my first city hall meeting experience. All the formality and lingo of "motion" and "second" and aye's. I found it fascinating.

I attended this evening because there is a proposal to erect an 80-ft cell tower on my block, only yards away from my balcony. I needed to know more.

While I was excited to be exercising my citizen rights, I went in pretty detached. After all, we use cell phones everyday. Sure, there are precautions. I use the speaker whenever I can (my bluetooth earpiece sucks) and I am mindful not to keep the device close to my body for prolonged periods of time. Just in case.

I was surprised by the public response at the meeting. An outcry, really. Some came really prepared, with facts and print-outs to argue their point. Most spoke with difficulty and lack of succinctness, but you gotta respect their conviction. I was moved. I started to feel angry with these people. These neighbors of mine whom I'd never met.

I glanced at the engineer making the case for one service career. Who is he to be making these statements that affect us? He's from Jersey. He's not gonna be living with this day after day.

Again, that us-versus-them mentality? It's worked for hundreds of thousands of years. It's what makes war and bloodshed. It's what makes survival. It's what makes us human.

My heart beat faster and faster. Who are these people to tell us this is safe? I must say something.

I was the last one to go up to speak because I debated and I debated. I dread public speaking. But I decided i couldn't live with myself if i didn't make one point that was important that no one had addressed. So i stepped up.

I said "good evening" and "I'll be brief". Then I basically said:

Government guidelines are not hard science. Twenty years ago, margarine was good for us. Today it is not. RF levels of 1% or 2.6%** are not as good as ZERO.

I was shaking the whole time, probably far from appearing attractive. But i saw empathy on the panel's faces. You can't fake sincerity.

I was pleased to be concise and to have spoken my mind. I was proud to have overcome my fear. Okay, i didn't overcome it. But i did not let it stop me.

Unlike in Hollywood movies, at the end of the day, there was no victory. There was compromise. The tower was not to exceed 60 feet tall.

I don't blame the commissioners. It is tough. We love the cell phone technology but no one wants to live near a transmissive pole. Then we complain about poor coverage.

The community was outraged. One of the long-winded guys went up to the podium again (apparently he did not comprehend the rules. Hello, the meeting is over!) and started repeating, "You cannot approve this!" until he was told he was out of order.

Wow, high drama. More than what i'd bargained for. I was reminded of the old days when a town hall meeting could turn into a bawl. "What sayeth thou, brethren?" Then it's uproar and mayhem.

That might have been more cathartic. Instead we get to have the option to see the city clerk in daytime to inquire on a repeal. There may be a fee, I hear.

I may just do that.



*Not his real name
**Figures presented to the audience

No comments: